Thursday 29 January 2015

A weekend on Skye

It's a long way to go, 9 or 10 hours drive up... hit the hay for a few hours had one full day meeting up with people and doing things, then drive all the way back the next day. We must be mad but we love it.

Not many hotels open this time of year so had to opt for something a bit more extravagant than our usual bargain basement accommodation. We stayed in a lovely suite in the turret of this hotel, the Cuillin Hills.


The hotel does indeed look across the bay to the Cuillin Hills, this is the view from the dining room, it's early morning so a bit bleak and misty looking but you can just see the colourful buildings along Portree harbour.


I like this hotel, they have a proper full veggie breakfast on the menu and it comes with veggie haggis, yummy :)


I also liked the hotel because it had that one thing I always long to find in a country hotel in winter, a roaring fire. I can honestly say this was the warmest I had been for weeks, maybe months and I didn't have to wear vests and long johns for 2 days! Plus, they have a most interesting and extensive whisky menu.


Now I'm no connoisseur but I do find the tastes and smells of whisky as interesting as single estate coffee. Just look at some of the prices per glass, we are talking rare and unique drams.Talisker is the local Skye whisky, we have some origins and tasting notes here



This is the cabinet of all those rare spirits.


There was a nice dusting of snow on the mountains with a windswept and interesting view around every corner.





I just had time to visit friends in Skye Batiks who I'm currently doing some more design work for and I picked up a square scarf with my design on. They had some patchwork packs of batik remnants, not the hand loom fabric, and I think you got 1.6m worth of fabric for £10. I think they had some hand loom fabric to buy per metre but I didn't actually see it which was a shame, I forgot to look, I was so engrossed with their other lovely clothes.


Back here and back to the cold conditions, hope it's not too cold or snowy where you are this week.

5 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

What a lovely little trip, hopefully a productive one too!
We once went on a whisky tasting experience in Edinburgh, it was brilliant, I must admit I much prefer the taste of whisky to coffee!
The hotel looks amazing and a wonderful veggie breakfast too!
V x
P.S. We have too much snow, I want it to go away now!!!

Shaheen said...

Oh lovely, I know its a long dreive but when its not a chore it makes driving more enjoyable as their is a little reward at the end of it. It is getting nippy here, but fingers crossed no snow,

Shaheen said...

Oh lovely, I know its a long dreive but when its not a chore it makes driving more enjoyable as their is a little reward at the end of it. It is getting nippy here, but fingers crossed no snow,

Rustic Vintage Country said...

Oh goodness me, could you come sweet talk my hubs! I'd love to go back to Skye, once you've been, it's in your soul!! Very nice to see Bob again! Suzy x

lavender attic said...

Hi Sally
What a lovely place to stay. The journey to and from can be as enjoyable as the stay can't it? Hope you're well and keeping warm. I will be in touch soon with an invite to my house in March for a bloggy/IG meet up with tea and cake and I am having a vintage and handmade sale too.
Sally x