Sunday 21 August 2011

A week in the Lake District

I managed to get one of those last minute holidays through laterooms website and it's been a lovely week, I think to get only 1 wet day in the Lake District is pretty good going at this time of year as we move towards autumn.


I stayed in the Haweswater Hotel and luckily had a room overlooking Haweswater which you can see in the 2nd photo, this was the view from the room. The other views are from the hotel terrace and down the road.
The hotel is a bit out of the way and down single track roads but one of the things which appealed to me when choosing it was the fact you will definitely get to see red squirrels. I've only briefly seen these wonderful little creatures in Scotland so to see them at close hand has been an absolute joy. The squirrels come down to the bird feeders on the hotel lawns and so you can watch them from the dining room windows, I also got within about 2ft of one outside. Difficult to get any decent photos as they scamper about too quickly so these are my best.


Up in the hills near the hotel is a nesting pair of golden eagles but I wasn't lucky enough to see them.
A lovely place to relax though and most of the rooms are without TV's so you really can get away from it all.


I hope to put a few more posts of places I visited.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely views Sally. The Lake District is on my to-do list being a big Beatrix Potter fan I would so love to visit!
Brilliant to get so close to red squirrels too such beautiful little creatures. :)
Vivienne x