Wednesday 8 July 2009

Straw Bale Cottage






Today I went to help my friend with the straw bale cottage she is building, or rather nearing completion for the end of the month.

From the last time I visited, which was at the initial bale building stage, it was virtually unrecogniseable and looking quite magnificent. I was very impressed with the spaciousness inside, and the height of the rooms upstairs with the steep pitched roof was quite dramatic.
So much hard work and hand crafting has gone into this project, I'm so pleased to have been able to do a tiny, tiny bit.

I volunteered to do painting as I can't really go wrong with that and we stained some wood with a lovely green colour and then attacked the study with some of the special clay paint which had the most beautiful consistency like vanilla custard. I also helped my friends son with sound proof underlay for the timber floor in the main bedroom.

It made a really nice change from sitting at a desk and computer all day, and the aching limbs tonight are proof of a satisfying hard days work!

No comments: