Wednesday 2 June 2010

Shropshire borders & architecture

I broke with the usual tradition of staying in on a bank holiday weekend (usually to avoid the crazy traffic) and visited somewhere new, or rather a part of the country I hadn't been to since I was about 10. Managed a last minute booking at a Travel Lodge and stayed just outside Hereford. 


A couple of my plans were not successful. I had always wanted to visit Hay on Wye, the book town, but it was the literary festival week and the place was absolutely crowded so a drive through was all I saw of Hay. The other toursity thing on my list was Ironbridge, and on a sunny bank holiday sunday it was heaving and the roads are so narrow it was a case of just wanting to get out as it felt claustrophobic. I did manage a quick photo of the power station at Ironbridge. I know power stations are nasty things but this looked quite striking as the cooling towers were a deep red shade and looked like large terracotta pots against the blue sky.


Just on the edge of Ironbridge was a lovely tranquil place, The Green Wood Centre with a nice wholefood cafe and its a place where you can see traditional wood crafts and attend courses. The photos of the wooden buildings are there. 
I saw some great architecture on this trip, there are some lovely traditional and unspoilt English villages in the Hereforshire & Shropshire hills with the most amazing old barns and farm buildings.


Ludlow was a very clean and picturesque town with quirky mediaeval and georgian buildings down every street, see bottom 3 pictures.


Didn't manage to find any good independent coffee shops over the 3 days and also slipped up and didn't get any cider on my travels. Herefordshire is a big cider producing area and you see lots of apple tree orchards and also a lot of hop growing in the fields. 
Interesting trip, now its back to preparing written material for college!

No comments: