Little did I know this would take a bit longer and become a bit more stressful than I hoped!
Armed with the latest Mollie Makes magazine I was determined to have a go at the mice on the front. Aren't they sweet.
Now I've not really done toy making before as I'm put off by all the parts but I have to say this sounded simple enough for a first attempt and they were so cute I had to try.
I selected some nice white linen fabric with a slight embroidery effect to it which I thought would give a lovely vintage effect, and pink polka dot for the body.
All the bits are chopped out and I'm feeling like this is going well.
I stitch up the limbs and this is where it gets a bit tricky, they are so tiny that it's hard to turn them right side out and I get a bit frustrated. It took me about an hour to turn these 4 limbs the right way & stuff them.
Break for lunch to attack it fresh in the afternoon!
I manage to work out the body and attach the limbs and you start to feel like you are getting somewhere as it takes a mousey shape.
However I was soon getting impatient, ...after I stitched the head parts and ears this is where it gets really tricky and it even says that in the magazine, they are referring to the fun and games you'll have turning the head right side out with the ears attached. I was faffing for ages and the more I tugged at it the fabric started to fray and stretch. It was at this point I wish the pattern had been 4 times as big to give you some flexibility to get a good grasp on the bits you were trying to pull through.
Eventually I did it. It was Sunday evening by then and I'd lost the good light and had had enough so I left the head and body parted!
I was feeling more positive again this morning so I got stuck in and gave my mouse features.
Here she is all joined together,..... at last!
She needed a dress, remember it's cold in here!
The fun bit was choosing the dress fabric. I'm not really into making small doll clothes, too fiddly, but I managed this effort, don't look closely as it's not very neat!
All done and I'm pleased I persevered as she's come out quite sweet. Will I make another, I'm not sure, probably not at this size.
Thanks to Jenny who shared this pattern with Mollie Makes, you can see her lovely mice on her blog. I think she must have more patience than me.