Saturday 30 April 2011

Bunnies & Bunnykins

So far the weekend has been filled with bunny activities of one sort or another.


In the last 3 years of living here I have watched the antics of the same rabbit family in the garden areas to the front and back of the house. Mother rabbit is a sweet looking creature and more gingery in colour than Father rabbit. He is a bit more grey and has a dark mark across his nose as if he's been thumped about a bit. There have been many ups and downs, what with rats taking their babies the other year and willie the weasel bounces by occasionally when the baby rabbits are fresh on the scene, along with an owl. 
This year there are noticeably less rats and the rabbit family seem to be doing ok. Mother rabbit has had one litter and in the last couple of days she has re-dug out an old burrow in our back garden and yesterday I saw 2 babies pop out of the hole for the first time. I think you will make them out on the picture if you follow the arrows. They are just so cute bouncing around the garden and quite addictive to watch once you start.


The other rabbit tale so to speak was a rather unusual call from a lady asking if I would be interested in painting Bunnykins characters on vintage prams she is restoring. I wasn't sure if this is something I can do so I've had a go at copying and whilst it's been quite easy to do on paper with acrylics I'm really not sure if I could do it on the side of a metal pram in enamels to get the same painterly effect. I would also be concerned with the copyright issue so there is much to think about here.












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous post Sally, just right up my street!!
The baby bunnies are so sweet and how lucky you are to be able to witness them close at hand. :)
As for your paintings, they are beautifully done, you are very talented!
Vivienne x

patty said...

Thanks Vivienne for your note. I had been wanting to capture a picture of the baby bunnies as I knew you'd appreciate them. Only when they are in the back garden and near a window can I get a picture from inside as they disappear down their hole if you try to walk outside with the camera. It's as if I have my own little wild pets! If only I could stroke them, they look so soft!