Wednesday 14 December 2011

Spoonflower fabric used for candle lantern covers

This particular piece of Spoonflower fabric has arrived in time for me to make a few festive lantern gifts.


I used some of my artwork to make fabric lantern covers in a very simple way.




I made a rough paper template which would wrap around a standard drinks tumbler, a bit like those sleeves you get around coffee mugs. I then transferred that shape onto the computer & rejigged a selection of some of my festive designs into the template and managed to fit 7 of these shapes on a fat quarter.


Just a case of cutting them out and doing a small hem around the edges. Then as you'll see below I have attached a loop and button to the sides for keeping them attached around the glass.


Not sure if you can see on the photos but I stitched on a few small sparkly, glass beads into the sky area of the designs to see if the candle light will twinkle through.


All that remains is to pop a tea light candle into the glass and voila! you have an unusual festive fabric candle lantern. Being in a tall sided glass means they are good in a draught and quite safe too.


9 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Now that is a clever idea, they really do look great Sally!
V x

patty said...

Thanks Vivienne, what would also look nice and without having to print fabric, just use a piece of festive or vintage fabric wrapped around a glass.

Anne said...

What a great idea, your lamp looks fab.We bought a glass painted one at the christmas market,its pretty but not as nice as yours.

grace said...

What a fantastic idea, they look amazing! Just set off a an idea in my over filled brain of doing something similar with my kids drawings for presents for family & teachers xx

patty said...

Anne I'm sure your glass lantern is just as lovely, I love Christmas markets but haven't been to one for a few years to see what delights are on offer.
Hey Grace have you seen those Edding Textile Pens, I got a pack from Hobbycraft, you could get the kids to draw something on white cotton to make lantern covers. They are just like felt tips which you iron to fix the ink.

Paulette said...

Very pretty I especially like the nutcracker. I didn't get the craft/sewing gene, but you sure did!♥

Sue M said...

Wonderful ideas here - and in the last post. The card designs are terrific - and so effective. Great idea for recycling and getting into the festive spirit at the same time.

Suzanne said...

absolutely gorgeous!!

patty said...

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback.